RE: [Harp-L] best harmonica tracks?

One in particular I like is Sonny Boy Terry - Live at Miss Ann's Playpen

-----Original Message-----
From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard Hunter
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2012 9:05 AM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] best harmonica tracks?

 Neil Warren wrote:
<This has probably been done before, but what do people consider to be the best recorded harmonica tracks?
<Always looking to build up my collection.
<
<Don't just want to hear the usual Juke, Whammer Jammer, etc. I have all those, so would appreciate some of the <slightly less known ones.
<And not just blues.
<Although that doesn't mean all the classics have to be excluded!

Since you've asked for the not-so-usual, and since other responses have mentioned the responder's own stuff, I'm going to recommend that you consider my CDs "The Act of Being Free in One Act" and "The Second Act of Free Being", which both contain almost nothing but solo harmonica performances, recorded without overdubs, mostly on diatonic harmonicas tuned in both standard and non-standard modes (such as natural Minor, Country tuning, melody maker, etc.).  About 25% of the material on those CDs is blues; the rest is original compositions and arrangements, many of which are unique in harmonica repertoire.

You can hear tracks from the CDs at CDbaby.com:
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/hunterharp1
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/hunterharp2

Continuing on this path of the unique and remarkable, I recommend Filip Jers's latest CD, "Spiro."  you can read my review of this CD here:
http://www.hunterharp.com/record-review-filip-jers-spiro/

Finally, damn near anything by Brendan Power is well worth hearing.  I especially like the swinging record he did with PT Gazell.

There is so much more I could mention, so many great masters worth hearing...

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
latest mp3s and harmonica blog at http://hunterharp.com Myspace http://myspace.com/richardhunterharp
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:   Confidential information, such as identifiable patient health information or business information, is subject to protection under state and federal law.    If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you may not disclose, print, copy or disseminate this information.  If you have received this in error, please reply and notify the sender (only) and delete the message.  Unauthorized interception of this e-mail is a violation of federal criminal law.