Re: [Harp-L] Madcat WAS Some observations on 12th position on the diatonic

tacopescado@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
<I believe that many years ago I wrote on harp-l, to your chagrin, that
<some of the best harmonica playing I've ever heard was Mad Cat with
<"Sky King" and "Brubeck and Sons." Studying those records along with
<Norton Buffalo's first two LP's helped me fluidly scale the harmonica
<from holes one through ten. I may not have groked that without the
<help of those LP's. As most of you know the harmonica changes between
<holes 6 & 7 and it becomes a different instrument on the high end.
<Madcat and Norton illuminated me on that.

I'm the proud owner of one of the (apparently few remaining) copies of Sky King's record, and in my opinion it is a great record in every way: great tunes with great rockin' grooves, great playing all around, and powerful, forward-looking harmonica work that sounds great on its own and in the ensemble context.  Anyone on this list who can find a copy in playable condition is well-advised to buy it.

Peter's conception and harmonica work remain topnotch and forward-looking.  I'm the proud owner also of a copy of his self-produced and recorded "Harmonica and Ukelele Project", and it's one of my favorite harp records.  The harmonica and uke sounds range from acoustic to full-on electric, and every track makes its point.  It's a lot easier to find a copy of that than a copy of the Sky King LP, and anyone who doesn't have it already should get it.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick