Re: [Harp-L] Differences between ears

On 12/30/2012 11:12 PM, David Payne wrote:
I can see really well far off, but I can't see a dang thing up close without my bifocals - I can barely read my watch without them.
I can't imagine hearing being much different than vision in that regard.
i can. they are entirely different systems, dealing with entirely
different phenomena, probably evolved at different times for
different needs. i don't disagree with your various suppositions
(or agree, either. got no data either way). but i do think that
using vision analogies to reason about hearing is more likely
to lead one astray than to inform.

i highly recommend "This is your brain on music" for those
interested in how hearing works. it's a little geeky, but fascinating
to realized how much of what we think we hear is just your brain
making stuff up.

--
We make a living from what we get,
but we make a life from what we give.