Re: [Harp-L] Differences between ears

On Dec 30, 2012, at 11:12 PM, David Payne wrote: Some interesting stuff.

I would add Sound travels at 1126 ft per second at 20 degrees Centigrade (68 farenheit) in dry air. But I was told when I was into shooting that sound travels at 1088 feet per second. But the 1088 was at ZERO degrees C. AND at SEA LEVEL. The difference is: at 1126 fps, that's 768 miles per hour. But at 1088, that's 742 mph.

What does that mean? Well what it means that if you are flying a plane at sea level in Canada you only need to go 742 mph, but to break the barrier in Florida you need to be doing 768. This, in an of itself, tells ME that sound is NOT a definite. It can be, shall we say, manipulated. Btw, if you add moisture, the speed diminishes.

When I was young my mother bought 2 music boxes on Capri One played 'The isle of Capri' and the other 'O solo mio'. The 2 identical movements were in: A.. an ornate marquetry olive wood box, B.. an ornate pot metal box. Needless to say the wood box played softly while the metal box was, shall we say, 'bright'.

This Christmas the wife gave one daughter a music box (Swan Lake). The box was paste board with ornate art work paper covering. It played very very softly. Ok, yes, I understand that music box reeds are plucked not blown/sucked. No need to remind me.

Our old T.V. had the speakers in the bottom of the front. It was easy to discern what people were saying without using much volume. The new T.V. has the speakers in the sides and back..sending the sound REARWARDS and off to the sides. When the drapes and Venetian blinds are open to the double picture windows, the sound is tolerable..as it bounces off the glass. But it the blinds are lowered but open, the sound diminishes and distorts. When the slats are closed, it gets worse, When the curtains are closed, it's worse, and when the drapes are closed, it's unacceptable.

Right now it's cold here at night so we prefer to keep the drapes closed. Ergo, we have had to go from 3, to 5, to 7, to 9 Roentgens JUST to be able to make out what people are saying. It's really annoying.

Interestingly sound travels through water better than air. and through metal BETTER than air or water. In fact, sound travels through different metals at different speeds. Nickel, stainless, chromium are much better than brass/bronze copper for transmitting sound. About 1 1/2 TIMES better. And lead? Almost no sound at all. Caution, don't put your ear to a freezing cold train track to listen for distant trains.

Conclusion? Sound is a lot more involved than some people may think. And nothing is 100%. Why even Ivory Snow (in it's infinite wisdom) is only 99 44/1oo%

smokey joe   (the 'They' that say).