[Harp-L] Re: Antony Dannecker Harmonica & RP 355 (Hunter Patches) & Fireball V demo (Rob Paparozzi)

Sandy Weltman wrote:
<I just this week got the sound patches Richard Hunter had put together for the Digitech
< rp 155. They really sound great and the rp 155 is also a great peice of gear. I picked a used one up in great <condition for $40. Add on another $25 for the sound patches and it's one of the best $65 investments I've made in <a long time. I've only had them a few days and have been running them into a very clean sounding acoustic guitar <amp (Fishman mini loudbox). The amp modeling/distortions etc still sound great for the harmonica even through a <clean amp. The delays are nice and warm. Really a nice processor for the harmonica. I had an old digitech rp 400 <that I had sometimes used for my electric banjo, but for whatever reason never thought about using it with the <harmonica.

Thanks for the kudos, Sandy.  An amp modeler like the RP sounds best through a clean amp, as you've discovered--you basically want the amp to take what the RP is doing and make it louder, not different.  A PA, powered PA speaker, or keyboard amp works very well too. I love the delays in the RP too.  They have a lot of variety, and they all sound good with harp.  The RP400 is a nice device in many ways, but it ran on an earlier FX processor that's underpowered compared to what's in the newer RPs (the  DNA2 chip).  The biggest difference is in the reverbs, but all the FX are noticeably better in the newer boxes too (meaning from the RP150/250/350 on).  That said, the delays in the older boxes sound great, and I like the sound of some of the amp models in the RP100/200/300/400 generation of devices too, but not enough to put any more time into developing patches for those boxes.

<I'm doing some tweaking on some of Richards patches to suit a few of my personal preferences, but their really a <great place to start from without having to spend a lot of time getting there. Thanks Richard. Anyone else been <using these patches lately?

See my site at http://www.hunterharp.com/?p=601 for user comments.  I gather you're looking for ideas on how to use the patches?  Check the latest blog posts at http://hunterharp.com for audio and video clips by myself and other prominent players using an RP with my patchset.  The most important point I can add is that these devices put a lot of new sounds into your hands, so try everything.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick