Re: [Harp-L] Rick Epping: the Father of Embossing

On Dec 28, 2012, at 4:39 AM, David Payne wrote:

> I've never heard anything that it was being used on accordions before this.

Ok, it was just a thought. Sometimes I can't control my brain waves. lolol

> I've heard of a lot of things being borrowed from accordions, such as steel reeds, but never something aftermarket - only factory things as often the same people making the accordions were making harmonicas.

Uh-huh, gotcha. I (for instance) borrowed the 'cat whisker' idea from accordions. That's where you place a cat whisker or paint brush bristle on top of a troublesome wind saver as a spring to keep it flat. I thought I was being slick. :)

> But, I'll pass along a little story about people coming up with the same idea at different times.
> Some years ago, I sat down for quite a period of time to make the perfect minor tuning for diatonics. The perfect minor tuning that would require me to tune the fewest reeds. I thought it was a stroke a genius that I could get two octaves of a minor scale by tuning only one reed, the three blow. I tuned it one step up, this gave me a seat for the minor scale and the whole instrument was transformed. I now had my minor scales in fourth position. I had the minor chords, the I minor, the I 7th minor and the four minor.
>
>  I was quite proud of this until a sudden realization took the wind from my sails... Brendan Power had already invented this same tuning, although he had tuned that note to get the missing note in that low octave most needed in fiddle tunes. He called it Paddy Richter.

Yeah, Brendan is a genius. Rick Epping too. But then there are a lot of others, some on this list, whom also impress the bejeezes out of me. S'all I was sayne. People coming up with similar stuff and without prior knowledge.

smo-joe and his odd ball perspectivs of cavallos of a different hue.