To: "Harp-L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2012 6:47 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Mickey minus Willie vid

Mickey's best work was on the Stardust album.
Steve in Minn.

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 23, 2012, at 11:26 AM, Mick Zaklan <mzaklan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've been on a Shelby Lynne kick for the last couple of days and ran
across these two gems featuring Mickey Raphael:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=YcGaZ8Cj8eY&NR=1 and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWq8UTWC7bg.
Mickey looks like he's using a finger mic on the first clip. I used one
for a string of gigs in the late 80's and remember switching over to an
Astatic in the middle of a set one evening. The difference was so
pronounced that the band immediately noticed. One guy told me to throw the
finger mic away. I don't think I ever used it again; but Mickey sounds so
good on "I'm Confessin'" that I may have to fish it out of the closet,
stick a battery in it, and take it for a spin again.
I think I'd listen to Mickey more if he wasn't with Willie, playing the
same stuff. I get that most people regard Willie Nelson as a national
treasure, but to me he sounds like he's wearing a C-clamp on his nose. I'm
not crazy about his guitar solos either. I'd much rather hear Mickey in
other settings and it doesn't get much better than Shelby when she's on.
Even though she's singing a Willie tune here, it just sounds like it has
more energy and crispness. My opinion.

Mick Zaklan