Re: [Harp-L] A harp for home, and one for work?

If you have not already done so, I suggest that you have a serious discussion with your wife about the type of music that you plan to play with her.  She won't have any problem playing blues with your diatonic, but you will find that playing pop and classical with her on a diatonic will be very demanding .  Explain to her the limitations of the diatonic (necessity to bend/overblow to sound the FA & LA in the low octave and accidentals) and then take her advice.  Try bending and overblowing to see how easily it comes to you.

Although it may be possible for you to eventually develop the bending/overblowing skills to play the "missing" FA & LA notes in the low octave and to play accidentals (#, b, and n not in the key signature), it will require less time and practice to learn to read and play pop and classical pieces on a chromatic.

I suggest that you and she listen together to Madcat Ruth, Robert Bonfiglio and other harmonica virtuosos on Youtube before you choose your next harmonica.

My purpose here is not necessarily to dissuade you from playing the diatonic.  It is to make sure that you have considered the alternatives before you invest a lot of time and effort.  A virtuoso harmonicist can play both types of instrument.

IF you are already aware of these caveats, then disregard the above and have fun playing your diatonics.

Vern