Re: [Harp-L] Re: Bluegrass harmonica

The Uncle Dave Macon Days in Murfreesboro, TN, is a bluegrass/old- timey get together that has a harmonica contest and every year a not- so-good amateur wins playing some lame blues. None of the judges play harmonica and they ignore and discount fiddle tunes, etc. For some odd reason Congress deemed The Uncle Dave Macon Days to be the place where the National Championship for old time banjo should be held. Seems Congress has more important things to do.

http://www.uncledavemacondays.com/

OTOH, The Old Time Fiddler's Convention in Galax, VA which is considered instrumental in the birth of country music and has a big display at the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville only allows string instruments on stage. Other instruments are tolerated in the campground. I once asked a buddy of mine who has attended Galax since the early '80's what if I signed up for the guitar contest and at the last minute started playing Old Joe Clark on a harp. He said, "They would turn off the PA, have cops escort you to the gate and ban you from Galax for life."

http://www.oldfiddlersconvention.com/

I've attended both many times and Galax is by far superior in musicianship an fan appreciation.