Re: [Harp-L] History of Bluegrass Harmonica

*<quote> So what do you call 'Bluegrass' then?  *Music.   :-)

I'm sorry, Rick.  All I can do is smile.  I know your pain, and it isn't
limited to bluegrass.  You have to look beyond it and find the folks who
aren't that way.  Quite frankly, I have been lectured more than once by
old-time players, who are very particular about what is and isn't
"old-time" "stringband" music.  Bluegrass certainly has plenty of "those"
folks, but so does classical, blues, jazz, old-time, etc.  Do your best to
find some musicians that you can enjoy and enjoy them, in whatever music
genres you wish to play.

When you get all caught up in the 'definitions', then you will find that
you 'cannot see the forest for all of the trees".  Bill Monroe is the
Father of Bluegrass.  He played waltzes.  He played ballads.  He played
breakdowns.  He played tunes that were also found in jazz and blues and
country.  He put his name on rewritten versions of songs that were written
long before he was born and they became bluegrass, sometimes by not
changing them much at all.  He played gospel.  He sang accapella.  He did
instrumentals.  He did whatever it took to keep the public coming in and
paying for the privilege.  Bill Monroe was a businessman who made playing
music his business.  As a result, he was innovative until he found what he
was after, then he continued to innovate with little tweaks here and there
to make it even better.  All of the older music can be found in the
"proto-bluegrass" era, sometimes not very different from when Bill played
it as bluegrass.  Not all stringbands played in unison, so even that idea
was not strictly Bill's.  But he was the man who made it shine and pushed
hard to make it work, even after his musicians had left and he had to start
all over again, and again.  Had he not, then someone else would have been
naming the music -- perhaps Flatt and Scruggs.

Bluegrass is a lot of things and it has a lot of sounds and a preferred
instrumentation.  It is finally up to the listener as to what they want to
call it.  Quite frankly, I have seen people hear a bluegrass band and like
them so much that they hired them for an event, only to fire them shortly
later, once they found out that the music being played was called
bluegrass.  They that had enjoyed the music could not rectify what they had
heard with what they thought bluegrass was -- that out-of-tune, whiny,
hillbilly stereotype that was attached to the music ever so long ago.  If
such definitions really meant something, then there would be clear cut
lines, and there aren't any, making it possible for a bluegrass band to be
hired for sounding great and fired an hour later because of someone's
belief in a stereotype.

The bluegrass icons we revere (Monroe, Flatt and Scruggs, etc.) gave a
character to the music that we seek to present today.  We think it is all
in the music, but it is really in the musician.  What is most often
forgotten is how they got there.  Their experimentation and innovation and
fun and love of music, etc., was as much a part of the music they played as
they were -- because it is who they were.  If not for their desire to
present their music well, to please paying audiences, and to be successful
in their musical lives, they would not have tried what they tried or done
what they had done and some things would not be as they are today.  Flatt
and Scruggs gave us the dobro in the hands of Uncle Josh.  It was an
experiment that worked and built its own place in the music and the world.
They simply fiddled with the sound and found something that worked.  That
is why "Blue Moon of Kentucky" starts in 3/4 and revs up to 4/4 -- because
Bill had a hit with the waltz -- Elvis had a bigger one with it in 4/4 --
and Bill could see that there was room for improvement and devised an
arrangement that has become a showpiece.  He wanted a piece of the action,
so he applied his wares to earn himself a piece.

So, with regards to definitions:  Is Gershwin classical or jazz?  Is Sousa
classical or just military music?  Is Ricky Skaggs bluegrass or country?
If Montovani plays the Beatles, is it rock?  If Jim and Jesse play the
Beatles, is it rock?  Did you know that Bob Dylan and Gordon Lightfoot are
bluegrass songwriters?  Ultimately, it is still up to the listener to
define the music as he receives it -- as something he likes or doesn't
like.  The genres were initally created to make it possible to market music
-- to shop music toward an audience that would be interested in purchasing
it, and to make it possible for that audience to feel confident that they
are buying music they like.

In the end, though, it is all just music.

Cara