Subject: [Harp-L] slide button

Yes, Dan: a couple of suggestions. Feel free to listen to all or none.  <G>

1)ANY 280 model from EBay (some can be had for tiny amounts, i.e. less than
 $20), will usually get you not only a replacement entire slide part WITH
button  attached, it will also give you other replacement parts to be saved
(and cobbled  from) down the road as needed (reeds, reedplates, coverplates,
etc.)

2)Join _www.Slidemeister.org_ (http://www.Slidemeister.org)    where well
over 1,000+ chromatic players are signed on, many of whom own at  least one
of these instruments--and if you're nice, might even send you one for  free.
You could also look up this topic there--I know it's been discussed  before.

3) I've bought a 270 which came in with a rounded wood bead glued on
instead. It's still there. Makes a very nice (and good-looking) button so yes,
other 'objets' can be substituted, but I wouldn't use anything much heavier
than  the original button.

4) The end of an older-styled Knitting needle (mostly the plastic or
aluminum British ones) have a similar metal 'cap' to a harmonica button. I
haven't tried this, but imagine one could be substituted.

TO reglue a button, first make sure the end of the slide part which goes
into the hole at the button end is straight (and not badly bent). If it's
bent you might first need to straighten it with pliers, taking care not to
twist  the rest of the slide part out of torque. (You DO first need to
dismantle the  Mouthpiece of course).<G>

 I've used Gorilla Glue to reattach a slide button -- just the  smallest
amount because it will expand. Hold it on firmly for a minute or  two then
place the slide piece between the pages of a very heavy book with  others piled
on top, and place other books against the button end with 'just  enough
pressure' to hold it while it sets firmly, usually overnight.

I did this with a 260 button several years ago and it's still on  solidly.

Much luck,

Elizabeth

"Message: 5