Re: [Harp-L] History of Bluegrass Harmonica

The correct year is 1945, not 1948.  January 1945, Bill's Bluegrass Boys
were Bill, Howdy Forester (fiddle), Sally Ann Forester (bass, accordion),
Stringbean (banjo), and Lester Flatt (guitar).  When Howdy took off for the
Army in 1945, Bill's band was down to him and Lester Flatt, as Stringbean
and Sally Ann had also left.  Bill found a new bass player and picked up
Chubby Wise for the fiddler, then he went to Lester, after having seen this
amazing youngster on banjo, and told him he had found their new banjo
player (Earl).  Lester Flatt reportedly responded "Not another banjo
player!  He'll just slow us down!".  With the addition of Earl, history was
made.

In 1949, Lester and Earl and the rest of the Bluegrass Boys took off and
Bill started back up with another bunch of players.  The new band created
from this separation was Lester Flatt, Earl Scruggs, and the Foggy Mountain
Boys.  They took "Bluegrass Breakdown", changed a chord (trading the IV
chord for a VIm) and renamed the tune "Foggy Mountain Breakdown", and that
was their theme tune.  They then set about to play shows as they had been.

In the 1950's, the Foggy Mountain Boys included Earl Taylor on mandolin and
harmonica.  Of the recorded bluegrass harmonica players that could not
possibly be considered "proto", Earl Taylor would be the first.

After Flatt and Scruggs had made a name for themselves, toured Europe,
etc., they practically became the household word.  Bill wasn't happy about
it, but they weren't on the Grand Ol' Opry and he was.  Then a festival
promoter wanted to get Flatt and Scruggs for his folk festival, as they
were known then, but the band wasn't available.  At this time, Bill's
tours and radio play was primarily regional.  However, someone pointed out
to the promoter that they had heard Flatt and Scruggs style music from
someone else that might be easier to get -- a fellow named Bill Monroe.  So
Bill Monroe and the Bluegrass Boys played the festival, in the place of
Flatt and Scruggs.  The irony was not lost on Bill.

By the way, a note regarding the initial 1949 separation:  It was about
money.  Bill was taking all the money in and paying the band a salary.  The
Bluegrass Boys (Earl and Lester included) started doing the sums and
decided that they could do just as well and they would split the money
evenly amongst each other.  Every one earns or doesn't earn equally, as
music jobs go.  What a band leader like Bill would usually end up doing is
banking the money for the lean times so that the band continued to be paid
even when times were lean, but the Bluegrass Boys weren't seeing any lean
times, so it looked a little lopsided.  So, 1949, the Bluegrass Boys became
the Foggy Mountain Boys and Bill started a new band to sound like the old
one.  You can imagine what Bill was thinking when he was playing a festival
in place of Lester and Earl -- that he got the job because Lester and Earl
were too busy elsewhere.  He wasn't always a temperate man.

Cara