[Harp-L] Re: Small High Tech Harp Makers:The Future?

Great posts on this topic from Michael Easton and Mike Fugazzi, packed with
information and ideas.

I agree with Michael that CAD combined with 3D scanning, 3D printing and CNC
is the future for small harmonica makers. It opens up the range of things we
can offer, and raises the quality of them to a high professional level of
precision. It’s exciting to think what might come, and Michael suggests
some cool ideas (eg. artists commissioning their own design harps on a
regular basis, creating new chromatic slider systems, building mics into
harps).

However one crucial area is still pretty tough for the small guy: making
reeds and reedplates. It’s not easy, and I think for the short-term we’ll
only see a proliferation of comb and perhaps cover making, added to
hand-done reedwork on existing reedplates. But the tech does exist for the
really serious small maker now to make their own reeds. That’s where Brad
Harrison did boldly go, and where others must follow if they are to be truly
original in their designs.

As Mike Fugazzi says, these niche makers won’t make much of a dent in the
overall harmonica market, which is dominated by low-cost instruments that
play fine and won’t break the bank.

Re. the triple-reed vs. overbending thing though, I think there are
differences in how things will pan out in the long term. As a way to achieve
chromaticism on the 10 hole Richter harp, I believe that overbending will
reach a peak and slowly decline as triple-reed harps improve and come down
in price.

Once triple-reed harps (of which the SUB30 is the first example) become less
expensive, available in all keys and sound great out of the box, I think
they will quickly attract average and pro players because of the intuitive
nature and pleasing sound of their double-reed bending. They could even
become the norm in 10 - 20 years. If you can have a harp that easily bends
18 reeds instead of 8 and sounds great at a good price, what reason is there
to stick with the old design that has only 8 bends and requires considerable
time and expense to make it overblow/overdraw, and lots of practise to
master?

That’s still a big “if” and time will tell, but I’m firmly convinced it
will happen. X-Reed.com is all about enabling that process.

Brendan Power

WEBSITES: www.brendan-power.com <http://www.brendan-power.com/>  ●
www.x-reed.com

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/tethnik