[Harp-L] Re: Small High Tech Harp Makers:The Future?

I see we are a lot alike in forward thinking Brendan. I hope there are more of us out there that share that vision.

I'm dealing with a change in my profession compared to when I entered the dental field.
What we use to do by hand is now designed on a computer and printed.
My employer just purchased 19 computers for use around the lab for CAD designing of dental work.
We have a large printer and 5 or 6 specialized milling machines.

You have to experience the technology to see the bigger picture and what it can do for the harmonica carriage industry.

Printing involves taking the 3D design and creating an object either in metal, plastic or ceramic
by building the object up with those materials in powder form and hitting it with a laser as it's being shaped.
It is very accurate technology. The lab where I work has been on the forefront of CAD design and printing for more then a decade.
Some of the work we do in PA. is scanned and sent to Texas where it is printed then shipped next day back to Pennsylvania.
The product is better and more accurate then if the metal were cast.

What this technology means to the harmonica industry is that we harmonica techs can do what Mfg's would never do.
We can work together in designing new harmonicas and wouldn't need to be in the same country let alone the same room.

This doesn't just mean designing a fancier comb for diatonic but also redesigning Chromatics, chord harps and specialized harps yet to be thought up.

Harp techs that have the technology will be able to collaborate across oceans to share design ideas. The idea of Zombar sending me designs or
I sending him designs via the net and having our milling machines mill out the design isn't a far flung idea.

I could also see bypassing import fees. By techs working together a customer in one country could order a harp or parts in another country.
Rather then shipping the custom harp it could be CNC milled by a tech in the customers country via an agreement between the 2 harp techs.

The shop I'm building will not only be for repairing and restoring harps but also the design and manufacturing of harps and parts. A large professional quality
CNC milling machine will be at the heart of the shop as well as pro grade woodworking tools so I can take raw lumber and reduce it to size for use in harps.
The CNC mill i purchased is powerful enough to handle wood, titanium and everything in between. Once I learned the in's and outs of it I'll purchase a CAD camera to
duplicate and improve upon stock parts or even make parts that no longer available.

Something else we can do (which is already in the planning stages) is have our pro customers work with us in designing harps under their name.
Manufacturers tend to water down a good idea for the sake of making money for the stockholders and CEO's bonuses.
Working with Indies bypasses any middleman collecting a payday for doing nothing. The harp that is designed can be the harp that is sold. Not just a watered down version of a great idea.
Once I work out ideas I'll contact my other pro customers for input in designs. They can make money. I can make money and the product will be more then a name slapped on a cover plate.

I've always been open and helped other harp techs on their way up with parts and advice.
Now I'll be able to work with them to design parts for them or create a Co-Op type partnership where we work independently together.
There is something in it for all harp techs that proved their ability and have the vision. It's not just about me working with others but all of us that have something to bring to the table
working with like minded to produce a better product.

I spent the last 13 years honing my skill at the bench. Now it's time to take it to the next level or fall behind.
CAD and CNC design is where it's at. As long as we use the technology to move forward instead of reinventing the mousetrap I think all players
will benefit.

By employing CAD setups in our shops we can work with companies that do industrial printing to make parts for us. No longer does the mouthpiece assembly have to be several parts.
The degree of accuracy in tolerances can be more cost effective when printed rather then milled. Ergonomic designs can be incorporated where once limited by machines that stamped out cover plates.
Mic's and pickups could be integrated into the design of the harp.

The list goes on. The earlier we enter into new technology the better chance we have of mastering sooner then later.

There are a number of us techs that proved our ability and knowledge of working on reeds, had the drive and motivation to weather the first 5 years in business and have the hindsight to know once you stop yearning for
knowledge you stop yearning to make a difference.

btw, Happy Birthday to fellow Dec. 13th'er Matt. Hohner.