Re: [Harp-L] Small High-Tech Harmonica Makers: The Future?

The immediate future is in aftermarket upgrades for niche players due to
accessibility of technology.  Reed material, tuning, combs, covers, and
personalization are all solid niches right now.  That being said, those are
things that make little sense for large companies to put a lot of resources
into due to costs and relatively small sales.  We've seen a burst in
"professional" grade harps in the $40+ range that rival what many custom
builders were doing 10+ years ago.

It generally takes a 100 years to make a large scale paradigm shift.  Two
harp examples would be the Marine Band 1896 and Seydel 1847.  The Marine
Band has not had a significant change in design in over 100 years...just
little tweaks in design and materials.  The 1847 is groundbreaking in the
use of steel, but is generally considered to be a regular diatonic
harmonica.

In the grand scheme of things, the yearning to do more on the diatonic is
relatively new and only a small percentage of players are hip to the idea.
  This is probably advantageous to smaller cottage industries.  The SUB 30
is a great example of a step forward, and hopefully niche markets can begin
to support a larger paradigm change where quality and consistency aren't
the only focus of the 10 hole diatonic.  While I am inclined to believe it
will do so, that will take quite a bit of time.  If you follow the bell
curve of paradigm shift, the percentage of early adopters is relatively
small.  It takes years and generations to really establish a new approach.

Following overbending as an example is quite fascinating.  It is something
that is relatively easy to setup and do (well, overblows in most keys are)
relative to the overall playablity of a current production harp.  That
being said, the overwhelming majority of players have nothing to do with
the technique and still insist it is extremely difficult both technique and
gear wise.  Now again, I am talking functionality relative to the standard
of most harps from the factory - I am not saying the situation is optimal.
 We could discuss the impact of alloys, production, and quality control and
how it made overbending difficult relative today, but let's not.  Let's
look at it from just one very small shift in thinking.

It is often brought up that overbends are note that aren't supposed to be
there and they sound too different in pitch and timbre from the other notes
to be considered useable.  This is not a strawman argument and a search of
the archives would confirm that.  However, it is now accepted that draw and
blow bends, the very corner stone of blues playing in cross harp, are an
absolutely paramount aspect of how we judge harp quality and an immediate
prerequisite to proficient playing.

However, the diatonic was NOT designed to draw and blow bend in the EXACT
same way it wasn't designed to overbend.  It just happens you can.  In
addition, those bends for 100% change the timbre of the instrument, and the
construction of the instrument varies the ability of a player to control
those bends.  Also, it is WIDELY accepted that those bent notes need not be
in pitch with other instruments to sound "right", or as they are generally
referred to, "bluesy".

To a rational non-harmonica player, traditional bends and overbends would
easily be perceived as the same thing in almost every regard, yet harmonica
players for years have insisted that they are different.  It is only just
starting to become more sociably acceptable to use them, etc.  And the sad
truth is only a sliver of harmonica players would have any clue what I am
even talking about.

Point of long post being:  We are at the beginning of a large paradigm
shift in diatonic harmonica playing that has begun in the last 15-25 years.
 As more and more of the masses have access to these changes - not everyone
can order a harp from Joe Filisko - more and more people will pursue and
many will take hold.  If music were to survive another 100 years, and pop
music would lend me to be skeptical, I would bet we'd see a much larger
paradigm shift relative to 1896-1996.  If you compare harp to guitars, or
pianos, or brass instruments, it is VERY hard to be different and make it
stick.