RE: [Harp-L] 7 Nation army on hunterharp.com

Ryan Hartt wrote:
I was goofing around with the main riff as I listened to this. Richard plays an A harmonica in 2nd position. You can't quit play the riff in 2nd. I tried 3rd position which was better but it ends on a 3 draw double bent (B natural). Not easy on a D harp. To my surprise if fits beautifully on a C harmonica with no bends, 5th position.

Yes, I substitute one note of the riff (the flat 6th degree of the scale, which Ryan correctly notes can't be played in 2nd position, at least not without an overblow on blow 1, which is a pretty tough overblow).  Seemed to work okay.  it's not unusual to have to make substitutions for notes on a diatonic harp.

Regards, RH

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick