Subject: [Harp-L] SPAH 2012 photos and reflections

Fabulous photos(and reflections): really nice job--thanks for  sharing!  It
makes my having to cancel my SPAH reservation pretty  much last minute (due
to my husband being hospitalized) a tiny bit easier to  accept, getting to
see so many people 'in action'. Nice too that you ended with  such a cool
photo of Marv Monroe, one of THE best SPAH people.

Much appreciated. Hope we're both there for the 50th Anniversary.

Elizabeth

"Message: 5
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 17:49:53 -0500
From: KEITH  MITCHELL <keithm@xxxxxxx>
To: "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx" _harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx)

My photo collection from SPAH  2012
http://keithm.smugmug.com/Events/SPAH-2012/24861210_ZwpJ5D
If you see  one of yourself you would like, email me at
keithm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to  receive the full size printable image via email. (no charge
of  course)

SPAH 2012 in Texas was my 2nd SPAH experience, having  attended last year
in Norfolk. I was blown away by the skill level, the variety  of harmonica
genres, the willingness of the world's best talents to sit and talk  shop with
even the lowest of beginners. I continue to expand my interest beyond  my
initial focus on just blues diatonic. This year I decided to take advantage
of the Judy and Al music theory six hour block of instruction using the
chromatic harp. This was a wonderful experience and I am well on my way to
being  able to play from standard music notation now.

The list of performers  that were my favorites is long but will name a few.
At the top of the list is  Todd Parrott. (http://toddparrott.com/) His
mastery of the diatonic for country  and gospel cross harp is mind boggling. I
have few videos I captured of him at  Hill Country Harmonica 2012 that will
add you to his growing fan  base:

http://youtu.be/t-BVfhWHKoA
http://youtu.be/qTgE1tOfBTc
http://youtu.be/EUn0vL_l70Y
http://youtu.be/y3HAFoscFLE
http://youtu.be/1knTMO1keeo

With  a similar style of playing, I really enjoyed meeting and learning
from Mike  Caldwell:
http://mikecaldwellmusic.com/
I bought all of his CDs and am  enjoying dissecting his music now.

I have 2 harps now from PT Gazell and  enjoyed seeing him in person again.
The looping session by Brendon Powers was  out of this world. As usual the
Filisko Teach-in was great with even more  instructors to pick from this
year. I got my yearly David Barrett yearly fix and  was impressed with the
growing fan base for Austin based Michael Rubin's  instruction. Met for the first
time the Welch brothers from Dallas and  appreciate their hard work with
the convention and their talent on the harp.  Jimi Lee, as usual, added to the
success of the conference with his wiliness to  share his skills in jam
sessions and live performances. Good to see my harmonica  customizer Greg Jones
of http://1623customharmonicas.com/ in person. His table  in the vendor
area was always buzzing.

Keith Mitchell
Round Rock,  Tx