[Harp-L] SPAH 2012 photos and reflections

My photo collection from SPAH 2012
http://keithm.smugmug.com/Events/SPAH-2012/24861210_ZwpJ5D
If you see one of yourself you would like, email me at keithm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to receive the full size printable image via email. (no charge of course)

SPAH 2012 in Texas was my 2nd SPAH experience, having attended last year in Norfolk.   I was blown away by the skill level, the variety of harmonica genres, the willingness of the world's best talents to sit and talk shop with even the lowest of beginners.   I continue to expand my interest beyond my initial focus on just blues diatonic.   This year I decided to take advantage of the Judy and Al music theory six hour block of instruction using the chromatic harp.  This was a wonderful experience and I am well on my way to being able to play from standard music notation now.

The list of performers that were my favorites is long but will name a few.  At the top of the list is Todd Parrott. (http://toddparrott.com/) His mastery of the diatonic for country and gospel cross harp is mind boggling.  I have  few videos I captured of him at Hill Country Harmonica 2012  that will add you to his growing fan base:

http://youtu.be/t-BVfhWHKoA
http://youtu.be/qTgE1tOfBTc
http://youtu.be/EUn0vL_l70Y
http://youtu.be/y3HAFoscFLE
http://youtu.be/1knTMO1keeo

With a similar style of playing, I really enjoyed meeting and learning from Mike Caldwell:
http://mikecaldwellmusic.com/
I bought all of his CDs and am enjoying dissecting his music now.

I have 2 harps now from PT Gazell and enjoyed seeing him in person again.  The looping session by Brendon Powers was out of this world. As usual the Filisko Teach-in was great with even more instructors to pick from this year.  I got my yearly David Barrett yearly fix and was impressed with the growing fan base for Austin based Michael Rubin's instruction.  Met for the first time the Welch brothers from Dallas and appreciate their hard work with the convention and their talent on the harp.   Jimi Lee, as usual, added to the success of the conference with his wiliness to share his skills in jam sessions and live performances.  Good to see my harmonica customizer Greg Jones of http://1623customharmonicas.com/  in person. His table in the vendor area was always buzzing.

Keith Mitchell
Round Rock, Tx