[Harp-L] My SPAH report

I had had a call from Charlie McCoy the day before I left and his Harmonicas to tune  were here upon my return along with his new wonderful Duets album! In the credits he notes that he had lost a good friend with the same condition as myself. He is on the  MS Blows collection I made and truly understands what it's like for me. Bless my friends!!!
It was nice to head off with Charlie on my mind.
 I arrived and was shocked by the heat. My roomate Jim Conway was already there and we had our reunion. We spend our time mostly laughing about stupid stuff. At the teachers recital Wednesday I got to play a song i wrote with my accompanist, Joe Filisko who had only heard the song acapella in the rest room once. He did really well and I was quite happy with our performance. It sure was nice to hear all the compliments! Thanks!
Thursday Cheryl Arena played a show with her crack band. I had known Hash Brown from when he played with Magic Dave Therault, and Cheryl from the Cambridge Harmonica Orchestra days 30 years ago or more.
I complimented the bassist for his understanding of bass function.
Cheryl and her band kicked ass so hard and pure that when Winslow regretfully announced that while he wished they could play all night there would be one more song at which point I began to holler-"Yay!! Cheryl is gonna play all night!!!" repeatedly but to no avail. I did want to let them know they were appreciated. Cheryl is hot.
Other folks that I thought were great, moving, or more.
Mitch Kashmar was fantastic starting with a 3rd position thang and just romping on from there. That was great.
The younger set was really great to see that they were interested and dedicated to the Harmonica Kalina Hutchins.
who I've know since she was 15 and she played an absolutely gorgeous piece that was heavenly. James Conway and I were able to spend some time with Sam Friedman encouraging him to carry on our SPAH traditions. Sam played great as well and very fluid.
PT Gazell is always great. Tom Stryker sounded fantastic with young orchestral players Alex and Norman.
A very serene bordering on religious performance by Jerry Devallier and Joe Filisko was incredibly uplifting as were Jerry's comments of grace and gratitude. I was able to spend a private moment with old friend Richard Hunter sharing some songs we had written which was nice.
Folks who came to my table were treated to a boatload of Filisko secrets that are rarely shown. Dana, and also
Mark Schmid and  Addie both got me an XO at great expense to show their appreciation for the lessons at my table.Buzz Krantz and I were able to have our traditional windsaver application demonstration which is always fun with the red Hohner glue from the F&R Farrell Co.
The blues jams were great and everyone seemed to be having a great time. I usually buzz around but Addie informed me that I would regularly sit back down where the line was shorter. She is probably right but I never meant to intentionally do this- I don't care enough to rush to play and I sure don't want to be asking for preferential treatment. sorry!
The Sgro Brothers were great and fun to chat with too, The Sardo Brothers kept the popular stuff going with all welcome. Stan Harper was amazing. I got a moment with him at the airport after exchanging smiles the whole convention. Grant Dermody, Jellyroll Johnson, and David Barrett were fantastic.
I had lost my banquet ticket and after asking a couple of board members if I could go look I got busted and maybe looked suspicious but I had tried to pay again and that didn't work. Thanks to Winslow that got sorted out. Everybody knows me. Marvin Monroe kept all good things going as he does.
 Jai-Yi He was very inspiring.
Chris Bauer and Phil Caltabellotta (Bernie Bray award winner) were great with George Miklas on bass.
Everybody loves Tom Ball.
I was ever so pleased with the dry humor and musicality/virtuosity and struck by the beauty of his music.
He was great.
Billy Citrin and Jeffry a with nephew Jonathan the violin virtuoso all played all kinds of instruments and played beautifully and ceaselessly. Will Scarlett was fun too!
So many friends, so many stories, it was fun!!! i may come up with an addendum but I wanted to get started!!!
See you in St. Louis!!!
Love,Jimmy