[Harp-L] Re S{PAH Numbers

During the last four years, one of my major concerns was the attendance at
SPAH Conventions because of the economy.  People losing jobs, not getting
them back and much less discretionary funds.  In my opinion, it is fantastic
that we have maintained the attendance numbers through this dark economic
period.  For those of you who don't know, SPAH contracts with hotels for
conventions and must guarantee certain numbers for room, food and drink.
This is quite a balancing act when economy is as it is.  We enter hotel
contracts about two years ahead of a convention.  It is the way we secure
space, keep your room costs low as well as reserving the function rooms,
etc., we need.

Certainly, the problems with our economy are not over yet, but with the next
convention being the 50th., we are hopeful that we will keep on-course.

The same consistency goes for SPAH's membership numbers which actually
increased during the last six years. With the emphasis on supporting the
youth movement within SPAH, the number may grow further.  By the way,
generosity abounded at the convention... we took in about $1500 "directed"
donations for the William Rosebush Youth Fund.  This means we will be able
to provide what we call scholarships for youth 21 & under to attend SPAH
Conventions.

Yes, there were some flaws in the convention, but as you all point out, many
positives.  I want to join the many of you congratulating Phil C. for
receiving the Bernie Bray Award.  Well deserved...

I also want to thank Winslow for running for President, congratulate him on
winning, release of his new book and wish him the best during his term.
Winslow has a big job ahead of him and will need support from all of us.

My main complaint about SPAH?  I started getting a horrible cold on Thursday
which sent me to bed a number of times during the convention and straight to
bed when I got home on Sunday. The result was not being "up to par" to fully
enjoy every "power packed" moment.  Today is the first day I feel decent
after a lot of rest and antibiotics.  Hope none you got it..  Bottom-line, I
feel it was a good convention and thank all for the positive comments.  Not
incidentally, there were a lot of volunteers in addition to the staff that
willing gave of their time.. Thanks so much..

Stryker

   <First off, sorry about the duplicate post.  When I post something and it
doesn't show up for a half hour on the list, I assume it's lost.
Apparently not.
   Glad to see that the numbers weren't off.  We all want SPAH to at least
break even on these things.  The fact that next year's fest is the 50th
anniversary of the organization should translate into very good numbers.  I
hope the entertainment roster reflects this special occasion.
   I had a wonderful time.  I've been to 19 harmonica fests and 18 of them
were SPAH conventions.  This was the best room I ever had at a convention.
But I will also mention that the Dallas Westin will probably be referred to
by reminiscing conventioneers  as "the hotel with the slow elevators".  But
it helps to have a historical perspective here; the Memphis convention in
the early 90's featured elevators that were knocked out for considerable
periods.  SPAH members were mostly using the stairs.  With good reason, they
were afraid of the elevators.  And one of the elevators had been puked in.
They never got the smell out, at least for the duration of the fest.  In
comparison, Dallas wasn't bad.
   My only beef.  I suspected something wasn't right when Jimi Lee's name
was missing from the schedule.  I'm a huge fan of his afternoon hallway
jams.  I use them as a tune up for the evening blues jams----though Jimi
puts his jammers through a wider variety of tunes and grooves.  When I
arrived, Jimi told me the afternoon jams were cancelled because they
couldn't figure out where to put him without disturbing a vendor, a seminar,
or the open stage.  Instead, I had to stumble upon them being held in the
wee hours of morning at various unannounced places around the hotel.  Like a
floating crap game.  I hope this gets straightened out by next convention.
Jimi shouldn't be competing with the evening jams.
Though I will say that maybe my personal highlight of the convention
happened after I left the Filisko jam and found Jimi running an after hours
session in the library room.  I dropped in long enough to chip in a solo on
"There Will Never Be Another You" and left.  It was 3:00am, the long hallway
back to the elevators was empty and quiet.  Somebody from the jam was
chasing after me.  It was Will Scarlet, I had seen him at several jams.  He
wanted to tell me how much he had enjoyed my playing over the last couple of
days.  The fact that he took the time to do that and the words he chose
almost broke me up.
   Highlights for me were Rupert Oysler's set (which I thought was
brilliant), jamming with Eric Noden on his Latin-tinged version of Howlin'
Wolf's "Who's Been Talkin'", Mitch Kashmar's swinging and inventive harp
work, the Filisko teach-ins, Tom Ball's set and seminar, getting to hear
Michael Rubin's band, and being able to visit with Elizabeth, P.T., Buzz,
Fred, Harvey, and Smo-Joe from harp-l.
   I want to thank Winslow, the host club, and everybody who had a hand in
putting this together.  It's a joy to be able to attend these things.>