Re: [Harp-L] lighted magnifier

Robert Hale asks:

What are you guys, gals, peoples...

using for lighted close-up work on harps?

    1. CFL ring light?
    2. weighted or mounted?
    3. 3x or 5x lens?

Robert, I like the "Optivisor:" http://www.micromark.com/optivisor-binocular-magnifier,6711.html

It is affordable, binocular, and lets me work hands-free. I like the 2x objectives coupled with the 2x ocular attachment. That lets me get a good binocular view at 2x and then flip the ocular in front of my dominant (right) eye for the aggregate of 4x magnification. The unit supports a couple of different lighting attachments but I have nice, bright fluorescent/incandescent adjustable light fixture that works well for overhead lighting and an artist's lightbox for backlighting, so I don't find the need for another light source.

I've used the ring light magnifier style combination lamp, but found it cumbersome and always "in the way." What I really covet, but are more expensive than I can justify are a set of dentist's binocular head loupes:
http://www.medical-supplies-equipment-company.com/product/ppf/id/28278/new_prod_full.asp

Hope that helps!

Michelle