Re: [Harp-L] Amplifying bass harmonica

Hello Neil,

The SUZUKI bass is specially mated to its harmonica mic by design, which
apparently has been different than stock Hohner basses.

First, please understand that we are talking about "double basses" which
designates that there are two reeds per note--the "fundamental" bass note
plus a note one octave higher.  The design difference is essentially this
way...
SUZUKI has the fundamental on the bottom of the top comb, and on the top of
the bottom comb -- so that the "fundamental" sound consistently comes from
the middle of the bass...
HOHNER has the fundamental on the top of both combs  -- so that the
"fundamental" sound consistently comes from the top of the comb.

Hohner showed the 265 and 268 basses at the 2012 SPAH convention.
According to Richard Weiss, the bass is to be redesigned with the
"fundamental" sound at the middle of the bass.  So when this model is
available to the public, the SUZUKI bass harmonica mic should work on the
Hohner bass.

P.S.:  The new Hohner basses are constructed with clear combs, with
integral plastic mouthpieces which are rounded like the CX-12.

George

--
George Miklas, Harmonica Performing Artist and
Entertainer<http://harmonicagallery.com/>