[Harp-L] SPAH 2012....My highlights

Just thought I would give a few bullet points on this years SPAH convention.

1. Tom Ball may be the best kept secret in the USA. Fantastic player with a
very unique style and a huge stage presence.
2. Filip Jers just lives and breaths harmonica and will certainly become a
household name in this country.
3. Mitch Kashmar looks so comfortable on stage and his playing and voice and
material bear that out.
4. Rupert Oysler has the balls to do a show solo and convincingly pull it
off.
5. James Conway just flat out kills me every time I hear him.
6. I hereby suggest we have an annual MVP award per convention. Eric Noden
wins this year hands down and should be awarded post convention.
7. It was painfully obvious that a lot of our elder chromatic players were
unable to attend due to health issues. (Huge loss IMHO)
8. It was also obvious that the next generation of players (all in their
20¹s or younger) are very interested in SPAH and I for one am excited by
this.

Jay Gaunt continues to grow and mature as an excellent player. Sam Friedman
who stunned all of us last year has vastly improved his intonation and is a
real monster on the diatonic. Brandon Bailey is playing and conducting
himself like a 40 something musician....thank God he is now in Nashville so
I can hear him more! Jake Friel at age 16 is well on his way to being a
regular at all these events with his tone and phrasing. Andrew (I did not
get his last name) is so in the pocket that its infectious. Julian Dawson¹s
(not sure on the spelling)  tone and ideas on the chromatic are wonderful.
Carlos (did not get the last name) has over the last two years gained
valuable stage experience and it shows. I am sure I am leaving one of these
young lions out and I apologize in advance.

These young people are the future of our instrument and convention.

I think HOOT Dallas and SPAH put on a great show this year.

I am sure I will think of 15 more things I meant to say.....

PT Gazell

pt@xxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.ptgazell.com
http://cdbaby.com/all/gazell