RE: [Harp-L] Audience response

Question: What is it that brings an audience to their feet, cheering for a
harp solo that was adequately done, but not particularly fresh, new, or
difficult?
Reply: Stage presence.

My Reply: There is something magical about free-reed instruments. I do a
couple of free shows each year for "Advocates for Inclusion", a non-profit
that provides support for severely handicapped children and their
caregivers. Many of the affected children and young adults have autism. The
program director has noted that many talented musicians have performed over
the years but music with lyrics doesn't seem to touch the kids in any way.

She has determined that there are two instruments that actually make a
strong connection with her clients. Harmonica and accordion. Kids who don't
interact with anything or anyone will dance to the music of these two
instruments.

I play many instruments. They one I connect with at a deep level is the
humble diatonic harmonica.

Best Regards,
Dennis M. Cooper
http://dennis-cooper.com