Re: [Harp-L] SPAH Demographics?

Winslow: thanks for your insights on SPAH and other festivals.

My 2005 SPAH visit was a major highlight of my harmonica life. Friendly, informal, with an astounding array of top grade players. I'd love to go again.

My interest in festival demographics addresses the question: what will the harmonica community be like 25 years time? What will SPAH be like then? The answer lies in the current 10-25 age group. There are some great players amongst them, to be sure. However, judging from my young adult sons and their peers, knowledge of the harmonica and its music is very low. When I was their age Bob Dylan was on the radio. For the generation before mine, harmonica groups were popular. However, the harmonica appears absent from the culture young people now inhabit.

In recent years the Internet has unleashed a wealth of harmonica information, harp-l an example. There is now an abundance of good teaching material (almost nothing when I started), harmonica companies are providing great new products, customisers and niche craftsmen are providing additional tools. In short, a golden age.

My concern is that, in the West, the future generation of players will be sparse. I hope I am wrong. The next generation of Asian players is already in place. I met them last weekend.

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.HarmonicaAcademy.com
...everyone plays