 From: JersiMuse <jersimuse@xxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Zombor Kovacs' <zrkovacs@xxxxxxxxx>; 'Robert Hale' <ynfdwas@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: 'harp-l' <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2012 6:22 PM
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Bending blow notes

Ok, Iâve learnt an important word today, thanksÂ:-)
Well, to be honest, Iâm quite impressed by all these XB40 & SUB30 technologies, by the creativeness of some people, but I am not really interested as a player.
The first reason is that Iâve learnt to play in all keys, & I donât care about the technique being used to make it possible. So I donât want to change all my playing now without a real good reason.
The second reason is that, to my opinion, the problem is not to be able to play all the notes (learning overnotes is not that complicated anyway), but to know what to do with all these new notes. Acquire musicality in all keys, getting a good swing, developing its vocabulary etc, is much longer than learning how to play all notes.
The third reason is that playing all the notes doesnât mean playing in all keys. To play in all keys, the notes should enable to easily play arpeggios, pentatonics etc. I mean the location of each note on the instrument is very important. On the examples Iâve seen, the changes may enable to get all the notes, but seem to make it more complicated to play all arpeggios for example.
Iâd be really interested (and I have to say surprised) to see someone playing correctly in all keys on a XB40 or a SUB30. Maybe Iâm wrong, and Iâll definitely give it a try, but I feel it is much more complicated than overblowing.
So personally, Iâll stick with my regular harp, customized to be airtight & settled to optimize the playing in all keys.
In fact, Iâd be much more interested if the manufacturers developed more harps with more slots, than if they totally rethink the instrument to get notes I can already get with not much effort.
Iâd like to get a harmonica which proposes notes that I canât get at all.
Think about it : once you play in all keys on one instrument, your first priority becomes to be able to play on 3 octaves in all keys.
Please Mr Seydel, Hohner, Suzuki & others : make this possible on all your models ! :-)
Regards,
Jerome
www.youtube.com/JersiMuse
DeÂ:Zombor Kovacs [mailto:zrkovacs@xxxxxxxxx]
EnvoyÃÂ: vendredi 10 aoÃt 2012 11:55
ÃÂ: JersiMuse; 'Robert Hale'
CcÂ: 'harp-l'
ObjetÂ: Re: [Harp-L] Bending blow notes
Something like that :-)
I would rather say airtight, but if you are playing underwater you surely need one which is watertight :-)
The key is to have as little air escaping as possible. This is achieved by all kinds of customizing tricks (embossing, appropriate reed curvature etc.)
But I would just go for an XB40 or a SUB30, they all have the proper blowbends you need. If you absolutely don't want to pay for one, just upgrade your harp with the necessary valves and there you go.