[Harp-L] RE: Distorted harmonica Versus Clean Harmonica

When I ride my Harley to the local jams I just bring my harps in a
little carry-case and use the PA mic.  I can get a pretty good
overdriven sound out of a vocal mic if I cup it tight.  Of course, I
usually warn the host that I'm going to blow the roof off the place so
he/she can turn it down a little.  There's nothing worse than a harp
player playing too loud through a vocal mic.  ...ok, a guitar player
playing loud can be just as bad. [LOL]

When I play with full gear, I use both.  I'll use the bullet through an
amp for a nice raunchy bite on the rocking' blues tunes, and then use
the PA mic to get a nice clean ringing sound for 1st position
country/folk, and 3rd position minor keys, while using my hands to
flutter and wah.  I also use proximity for effect as well; lead versus
rhythm volume, fade-ins, fade-outs, etc...

Sometimes I will play through both at the same time to get a blended
sound.  In my opinion, all three  methods are very useful, and a great
harp player will use all the tools at his/her disposal creatively. I've
seen some good players use nothing but a vocal mic and do just fine,
I've seen some good players play through a vocal mic and sound terrible,
and I've seen some good players get boring fast when they do nothing but
ungulate and distort the living hell out of an amp. It's good for 3 or 4
songs, and then it gets old quick - Variety is nice.

Keep On Harpin'
Pat Powers