Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Mystery depression-era harmonica (visual)

I'm not so sure, Steve--I think it's a 10-hole chromatic, on the order of a
 Hohner 260. I'm looking at the gap between the cover plate and the wood
comb  which looks an awful lot like my own old 260 and the way his right
forefinger is  crooked it easily could be to push the button?

Just my guess.

Great photo, btw.

Elizabeth

"Message: 12
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 01:15:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:  HTownFess <Spschndr@xxxxxxx>
To: _harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

The wonderfully evocative photo linked below at first had me thinking  the
man on the left was playing a Hotz model like an Atta Boy or Harmonica
King
that had covers like the old handmade Blues Harp, but now I think it is
probably a prewar Marine Band whose coverplates are a little beat down by
hard living. Would anyone venture a positive ID? It's a high-res photo, so
blow it up and guess away. And what kind of song do you think they're
playing, given his position on the harp and the guitar fingering? Is it an
old standard (to us) with the harp possibly held upside down, or maybe some

blues?

1936 photo  <http://www.shorpy.com/node/13435?size=_original>

Stephen  Schneider