Re: [Harp-L] Vive La Difference -- But What Is It?

Valved bends, which are the bends you get on most chromatic harmonicas, are
a product of the interaction between the resonance of a single reed and
mouth resonance. Unvalved bends -- like on a marine band -- are the
interaction of the resonances of two reeds and your mouth.

Valved bends tend to sound weaker the lower they go until the eventual
choke out. Unvalved bends sound stronger as both reeds come in to play.
Unvalved bends also have a definate floor below which you can't go,
regardless of technique. Valved bends don't.

Half-valved harmonicas give you single reed, valved bends on the "extra"
bends. The new Suzuki features double reed bends for all the "extra" bends.
As I understand it, the valves are just there to prevent the extra reeds
from interfering in the regular bends (draw on the bottom and blow on the
top).

--
Arthur Jennings
http://www.timeistight.com