Re: [Harp-L] Re: New 30 Reed Harp from Suzuki: SUB30 UltraBend

The XB-40 does have a huge volume advantage (at least compared to Brendan's prototype for the SUB30, which I played 15 years ago).

The volume of the XB - and the fact that it comes in Low D - makes it brilliant for celtic playing and fiddle tunes. Rick Epping (the designer), Steve Shaw, myself, Burke T., James Conway - all Celtic players who really value the XB.

But the XB was always marketed to the folks least likely to accept it, because it's so different from the standard 10-hole, in size, shape, response, and sound. It's a unique beast with its own virtues, but being just like a standard diatonic isn't one of those virtues.

I treasure my XB-40s and hope to keep them running even though Hohner is planning to discontinue them.

But I welcome Brendan's new SUB30; it's a different take on the design that promises to deliver added dual reed bends while coming as close to the standard 10-hole diatonic form as humanly possible.

I woner what PT Gazell would sound like playing the SUB30 . . .

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa
President-elect, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica
Resident Harmonica Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance