Re: [Harp-L] Oberblow beginner

You really need to get someone like Mike Fugazzi to tweak your harp so that it overblows and overdraws well without sticking. Alternatively, you can buy a Suzuki Firebreath which works right out of the box. I have a G that I've never played, and I had never even attempted an overblow, and I overblew 4 on the very first try. 5 and 6 worked first time too, as did overdrawing 7 and 8. I got the Peterson out and checked the pitch, and I was pretty darned close for an absolute beginner.

Full of myself, and wondering what all the fuss was about, I tried the same techniques on my G Crossover. I got everything from a windy zero to barely catching the slightest instance of a pitch shift. Clearly, my success with the Firebreath was due entirely to the harp's design.

I got my Firebreath from Ron Hobdy at rockinronsmusic4less.com. There's also a Pureharp Suzuki with the same comb and reed plates, but with solid rosewood covers that allegedly deepen the already dark tone of the Firebreath.

If you have the patience, the best customizers in the world are right here on this list.

Sent from my iPhone