[Harp-L] Re: Political blues

Does anyone know any artists that are singing about some more  politically
motivated or socially/environmentally conscious  blues?

Josh White did a fair share of that stuff.  look up his  lyrics to 'Free &
Equal Blues', 'One Meatball', and Jelly  Jelly... where one line goes;
'Perhaps a bankers daughter, if her papa  is a cuss, I hope to do to her what her
papa does to us.'   I think he  wrote that in the 1950's, seems fresh &
relevant 60 years  later.

John Mayall's 'Prisons on the Road' was about cars polluting the air in the
 1970's.  'Graffiti Limbo' by Michelle Shocked w/Rod Piazza on harp is
outstanding.  Jimmy Reed's 'Big Boss Man' is a standard that is often  heard,
'Born in Chicago' is another.  Plenty of that stuff out there if you  dig
around a bit.

Christopher Richards
Stage Manager - 2012 SPAH Convention  spah.org
Twin Tone Harmonica Microphones  harmonicaplanet.com
Co Producer - Greeley Blues Jam   greeleybluesjam.com