Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 14:44:15 +0200
From: Steve Baker <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Marine Band vs Marine Band Deluxe
To: jay.jmt@xxxxxxxxx, Harp-L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

Jay wrote:

Does the MB Deluxe have additional reed work beyond the standards for the
regular
Marine Band? What is the actual benefit to the player of the Deluxe vs the
regular MB?

Steve replies:

The MBDL has a number of extra features in comparison to the Classic model which
I feel make a considerable difference to the player:

Screw together assembly for ease of maintenance.
Comb is triple sealed with additional Ultraglide coating on front to prevent
swelling and enhance playing comfort.
Covers opened up at back for greater volume and much increased stability.
Slightly higher cover profile at front prevents reed rattle on low draw notes in
low keys.
Front corners of covers are closed for enhanced playing comfort.
Edges and corners of reed plates rounded off for greater playing comfort.

There is no additional reed work, in both cases the reeds are mounted, riveted,
offset and tuned twice to ensure clean octaves and full chords. Reed work as
performed by harmonica customizers is something which can't be emulated in
industrial production without increasing costs astronomically.

I was closely involved in the development of this model and my personal aim was
to create a modern Marine Band which played better, was more stable, more
service-friendly and also offered harmonica customizers a great starting point
by eliminating the need to modify the covers, seal the comb and fit for screws.
It certainly works for me. As with all new Hohner harmonica models, the staff in
the R&D department played a central role.

Steve Baker
www.stevebaker.de
www.european-music-workshops.com
www.harmonica-masters.de