Re: [Harp-L] college course or private lesson

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 7:40 PM, Bob Cohen <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

But the depth of knowledge and experience concentrated into a four year
music degree would be tough to replicate on one's own or under the tutelage
of a single private teacher.

Again, what's the goal?

Music at college is great, and it's because you're concentrating on so much
theory, composition, history, improvisation, ensemble performance, etc.
Yes, it is "part of a formal music education" if that's your goal.

"All professionals study at a university" is not entirely correct, nor does
it need to be, especially in the arts. (Example: Top luthiers and guitar
makers)

"Time-tested, systematic, varied, and deep" I think many private teachers
demonstrate competency here, too.

"like-minded people who cross-pollinate one another" sounds to me like an
oxymoron.

Excellence and professionalism moved through the generations long before
the University formalized it into a business. Let’s not give it more
singular, sacred honor than it deserves.

Robert Hale

See you at SPAH2012

Learn Harmonica by Webcam

Low Rates, High Success