Re: [Harp-L] re: Death rattle from a chromatic

Martin -

A chromatic with no valves is too leaky to play. (I include the ones that come that way from the factory.)

Some players remove ONLY the outside valves - this is called half-valving. Brendan Power is its chief proponent.

When you remove the outside valve, air can pass across the blow reed when you inhale. Consequently, the blow reed can participate in a draw bend in those holes where the draw reed is higher in pitch that the blow reed (this excludes Holes 4, 8, 12, and 16 on a 12-hole or 16-hole chromatic, where B is the draw note and C is the blow note.) So you gain a more diatonic-style bend, though you lose some airtightness and you also lose the extended bending range that an isolated reed makes available.

Some pro players really like half-valving while others find that they lose more air than they'd like, and that the tone becomes uneven - because now the blow notes and draw notes sound different from each other.

Winslow

VOTE Winslow Yerxa for SPAH president, with L J Atkison for vice president
Winslow for SPAH President (Facebook)

Winslow4Prez (YouTube)
Chair, SPAH entertainment committee
Chair, SPAH awards committee
Member, SPAH convention planning committee
Staff, SPAH Convention event operation