[Harp-L] re: Death rattle from a chromatic

Many thanks to Winslow Yerxa and David Payne for input on how to clean an CX-12. Interestingly, some diverging views on the use of water.
  Being a lazy as well as impractical SOB I followed the first recommendation: rinse w/ light soapy water, while also observing that Gothenburg, Sweden probably not now -- probably never -- reach the humidity levels of W Virginia.
  This took care of all but one valve. Had to take the dreaded step of disassembling the instrument. Rather easy -, it turned out -- with a Youtube video at hand. Now things have shaped up, at least for the time being.
  But I must confess to a strong urge to rip off those valves when I had them, or at least some of them, exposed.

Question: Would this have a considerably negative impact on the chromatic? As in "much to leaky to play w/ satisfaction"?
  I know some players use them without the valves, but perhaps they do other adjustments as well?

Cheers,
Martin