Re: [Harp-L] Re: Hohner chromatic reeds (was Out of the box)

It might be helpful to keep in mind that most of these instruments -- if not all -- are mass produced. Even the so-called handmade versions are produced in large quantities.

I once had some entry level harps that I argued with a reseller that they didn't work very well. What was the difference? I was using whistle shape (lip block) and he was using tongue block. My whistle shape was more percussive than his tongue block.

So who was right? Sometimes the embouchure makes all the difference in the lifetime of the harp.

I've found in over 20 years of harmonica experience that the harmonica that lasts the longest out of the box is the one that I frequently put back into the box. I've got a Blues Harp from 1970 (the nailed kind) that is coming unnailed. It still plays fine, but you have to hold it together with your fingers.

Some harps overblow better -- out of the box or after adjustment. Others -- especially some non-German made harps don't seem to last as long. But then Norton Buffalo used Huangs and I never heard or read about any complaints from him.

I agree with smo-joe. It's difference strokes.  If the same guy is blowing out brand-X and but not brands Y and Z, he might want to check out how he changes his attack on the troublesome brand-X.

I'm always reminded of the newbie who walks into a SPAH store and buys a brand new harp and proceeds to complain that "draw 2 doesn't work right."

I'm also reminded of how Howard Levy relate about how he would try an entire box of  Golden Melody harps at a retailer before settling on 3 or 4 Golden Melodys that were just right for his purposes. All the GM were German (and handmade?) Even among the same brand and line of German-made harps there was variety.

... now to get those blow bends under control...