Re: [Harp-L] volume issue

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 6:51 AM, Matthew Smart <matthewsmart@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
gradual increase in volume everytime someone new comes up.

I've read some about hearing-fatigue and the change in perception of
frequencies and volume. The other factor is the player's experience
and ability to selectively "hear" parts within the mix. Sometimes it's ego.
Mostly it's habit.

Working at a classic rock FM station
The jock I was relieving had just finished 4 hours of music, and had been
gradually turning up the volume over that period. By the time I entered the
room, it was deafening to me, and just fine with him.

Mixing records in the studio faces the same challenge. Pros will listen at
high volumes for short periods to assess and make decisions,
and consciously return to lower volume.

Ain't life a scream?

Robert Hale

See you at SPAH12