Re: [Harp-L] Keys you need

To be quite honest, my E harp does way more straight harp than it does
anything else.  I have used it for jazz and blues in other positions, but
some country and bluegrass tunes just work better in 1st position.  I am
also guilty of choosing between a standard E and a low E to suit the needs
of the situation.  However, if I were to be at the point of having to
purchase harmonicas from scratch, I would tend to buy them in this order:

G, A, C, D  ------------ most common usefulness all around, especially for
country/bluegrass
E (and/or low E), F (and/or low F), Bb, B  ------------------  next most
useful, especially for country/bluegrass
Ab, Eb, Db, low F#   ----------------------------  need to add these for
playing jazz

(The low F# is for playing a few Ebm tunes with a sax player.  The Db/C#
and Ab help with I run into a clarinet player I know who likes Bbm tunes.)

Generally speaking, I can do a lot of damage with the first four, but I
will go after the next four right away so that I will be prepared for
gigs.  The last four I will want as soon as I can get them, because I love
jazz standards, too.

By the way, not only did Bill Monroe sing in higher keys, a banjo tune was
actually written for the key of B and some might want to use an E harmonica
to play a break on it.