From: "Mike Rogers" <bullfrog9@xxxxxxx>
Sender: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 09:04:10
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>; Nick Walsh<niko8484@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Read if you're bored!

Run!!

Bullfrog
----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Walsh" <niko8484@xxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2012 12:16 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Read if you're bored!

Here is an email exchange I recently had with a band leader who asked me to
come play him and his band.  It's long but I just wanted to know the groups
thoughts about this exchange. Here is some background on the email: this
band played at a very loud level. This level always increased during set to
the point that everything including vocal was muddy and distorted.
Let me know If I out of line at all.
I actually found his respond ridiculously entertaining.
Nick "Chowda"
Nick..  I hope all is well with you, I am in search of a good harp player
for the new reformed XXXXXXX, and it now consists of some great players.
I really liked playing with you and what you brought to the stage when you
jammed with us.. and I know you must be even better now.    If you are
interested in playing with us again please let me know...

Thanks, Tom
Hey Tom,
 Thanks for the email.  I have been really busy with school and work. That
being said I am looking to play more harp. I really like the song choice of
the XXXXXXX has and the style youâre playing.  I think my harp sounds good
with it.
I have a few suggests if you're interested.  I don't mean this in any
disrespectful way what so ever, but I found it hard to play with the XXXXXX
because of the overall volume level.  I felt like I got lost in the mix with
my medium sized amp (12" speaker, 25 watt amp).  Even when I brought out my
Bassman I felt able to compete but then I felt like I was perpetuating the
issue and forcing others to turn up. The last time I played with the XXXXXX
I left feeling a little discouraged and like it wasn't my place to ask
everyone to turn down.
Again, I mean this with total respect.  I think you're a great guitarist and
the other guys in the band were really cool as well.
Thanks,
 Nick
Great to hear from you Nick....     and oh yes, the volume issue...   There
are some people that really have a hard time dealing with it and I, and that
is fine for them, but not me.   At the smaller venues I do try to keep a lid
on it as best I can but I have to tell you I will not play at lounge levels,
never happen.    When I play I want to play for real... I take my playing
seriously just like all my hero's I grew up listing to...  I want the
XXXXXXX to be the real deal, and to get tone... great tone I need to be at a
level that will allow me to get there pure and simple, no bink tone or fake
sounding distortion pedals at low levels...  can't and won't do it.
 I am not going to turn down any lower than I already play, nor is the band
as a whole.   If you think you can handle that and want to give it a go then
let me know and you should come to our next rehearsal.   If not.. I fully
understand.

Either way...  good to hear from you, always liked you and your playing and
thought you had great potential.
Tom