De : harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] De la part
de Cara Cooke
Envoyé : lundi 2 avril 2012 22:21
À : harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Objet : Re: [Harp-L] Re: positions you can use on diatonic

Brendan Power said it very well.  To me, though, it seems like JersiMuse is
not getting it.  It may just be our varied musical experiences.

*"To my opinion, if positions only refer to root notes, they are useless,
and the note name is a much better and precise information. Especially when
you communicate with other people from the band, who are usually not
harmonica players. I'm surprised that harmonica players so much feel the
need to use a separate vocabulary, enabling them to better communicate with
other harmonica players, and complicates their communication with other
musicians. Whereas, to my opinion, playing music should mainly be the
encounter of different instruments."*

So far, I haven't learned or been around an instrument whose players do not
have their own vocabulary with regards to communication with other players
of the same instrument.  They may not talk that way to you when you are on a
different instrument, but they will to each other.  I also seldom hear
anyone talk "positions" on harmonica to another player who is not also a
harmonica player, unless first asked specifically to do so.  When playing
with other musicians, you may have your own shorthand communication that
works with them or you may speak plainly in music theory, but not all
communication techniques will be useful -- so it is best to learn how to
speak and understand many of the different systems.  To me, this is part of
the seasoning of a musician.  As a harmonica player, knowing about positions
is very useful.  As a beginning lesson regarding positions, it can be very
helpful to know that certain positions natively lend themselves to certain
emotionally charged scales, or modes, without the need to bend notes.  They
make very good starting points.  If you don't wish to talk about positions
to another harmonica player, fine, but they haven't out-lived their
usefulness or gone away.  The concepts are still important, even if you use
a different reference system to discuss them.

*"BTW, I'll let you just think about one point.  For most musicians, a note
is at the same time a name AND a position (position of fingers, toungue,
lips, etc). Still most musicians name their position by the name of the note
it gives.  Of course, most of musicians can not change their instrument's
key at a glimpse.  It is still interesting to know that some harp players do
think all 4 draw as being a D, on all harps, instead of "a third position".
Like most musicians not playing a C instrument do (sax, trumpet, etc)."
*
With all due respect, if you ask a sax player to tell you what note he just
played and he says it was an Eb, you need next to know if he gave it to you
in "concert".  Brass players can get the same note using different positions
or fingerings, so they never would refer to the note they played by the
position or fingering, or vice versa, unless they were talking to someone
playing the same instrument, or to a leader who might be trying to
coordinate everyone's intonation.  However, two french horn players might
debate whether the open E or the 1&2E was the better choice.  When they do,
they are not talking "concert".  They are talking "french horn".  If a banjo
player calls for everyone to move to "2" (or holds two fingers up), he is
typically trying to get everyone into the key of A.  (His capo is on the 2nd
fret.)  If the group is music theory oriented and sufficiently varied in
types of instruments, then holding two finders up may mean the key of D
(concert).  If a guitar player holds up four fingers, he most likely means
the key of B.  His instrument is "concert", but he is telling the group that
he has moved his capo to the 4th fret.  (Unless the guitar player is a
flat-picker, B is the most common key played from the 4th fret.  It really
helps to know about the people with whom you are playing music and the
instruments they are playing.)  Across our southern border, keys are called
by their vocal names (with a slight adjustment for dialect).  If "sol" is
called, you will be playing in the key of G.  If you hold two fingers up for
the key of "re", it may be taken as an insult.  In one band, we all knew
some basic American sign language, so we called the keys by their roots (by
hand) with a flair that indicated sharp or flat.
It worked well, but it only worked for that group.  Other people weren't
willing to take the time to remember the seven sign language signs when they
already had a method of communication that worked for them.

Overall, it has to be agreed upon by those in the group in what "language"
communication is to take place or confusion will ensue.  Communication is
dependent upon the audience.  You all have to speak the same language.
This is a harmonica list, so "positions" is in the lexicon.  It is most
useful, if you wish to understand or be understood, that you learn as many
varieties of these different communication styles as possible so that you
will be ready to enable communication on your part when necessary.

*"Positions are not mandatory and are limited, classical music theory is not
mandatory neither, but it is not much more difficult to be learnt and it has
proven for centuries to be unlimited."
*
For the purpose of the discussion regarding positions (which have
corresponding roots), positions are as limited as music theory (12 notes,
12 positions).  It is simply a reference to enable communication that is
based upon the instrument.  Music Theory serves a broader, more separate
purpose and has evolved to suit it.  The root for the position is the
"Rosetta Stone" reference to music theory.  The fact is harmonica is just
short of 200 years old and we are only now really learning what it can do
and how to improve it.  Our references may change over time, but they will
remain instrument specific until we have to talk to musicians who don't play
harmonica.

Music Theory references may not always suffice for some of these instrument
references, either, by the way -- in terminology or in notation.  For
example, in fiddle, a shuffle is a specific technique with specific bowing
patterns to achieve specific purposes.  Violinists do not typically learn
the basic fiddle shuffle.  When they are asked to play a piece in which the
composer has inserted these fiddle techniques, they tend to work themselves
to death trying to get them to sound right, and they always sound stiff.
The composer only has the limitations of music notation to work with when
writing a shuffle and a violinist will tend to read it a certain way.
However, a fiddler will see the same notation, recognize the pattern, and
make the intuitive leap that the composer means for the violin to play a
shuffle.  The violin family is a very old instrument family, yet music
theory can only compensate for so much in its notation to communicate what
the composer desires should be played.  The rest is left up to
interpretation by the musician.

If you were to look at music theory and music notation, you would find that
it has been evolving for centuries.  It creates a sort of language to help
musicians talk to one another, but it isn't perfect yet.  It is still
evolving.  It is still "theory".  Ultimately, a language has to be shared
before it can serve as effective communication.  So, if both musicians do
not know the same elements in music theory, they don't communicate.
Especially in the root/folk music forms, it is common for the musician to
not be up on his music theory past the bits he needs to know to do his job
well.  So, now you are back to communicating in some specialized form that
suits the situation, like positions and numbers and signals.

cara