Re: [Harp-L] positions you can use on diatonic

On Apr 2, 2012, at 11:27 AM, Buck Worley wrote:

> What I think is the bottom line is TASTE. Good taste vs bad taste.

Buck, your comment moves the discussion into the realm of "personal" taste and as I'm sure you are well aware, that lies in the eyes of the beholder. You may feel passionate about your opinion but I pray you remember, one man's treasure is another man's trash, and vice versa.

> harmonica is considered a tasteful thing then I am going to gag myself with a spoon. This is Micheal R just showing off his respected wealth of music theory

Mr. Rubin does indeed have a wealth of theory. He is also a very nice man. He's modest about his talent and extremely generous with his knowledge. Case in point, he makes some portion of his livelihood as a harmonica educator yet he shares his knowledge here on harp-l for free. Thank you Michael. You told me your friends call you Ruben but I feel funny saying that.

> applied to an instrument that is very limited in the real world.

I respectfully disagree. Instruments are limited to the extent of a person's talent and willingness to explore. Every instrument does some things well and others require years of study and practice to develop the techniques necessary to play at the most advanced levels. That commitment and its concomitant work are what separate the wannabes from the elite players. Moreover, innovators push the boundaries. That's their job. And thank God they do it. Every single revolutionary advancement has been obliged to endure a hurricane of orthodoxy and a mudslide of status quo.  Innovators persist despite the all the obstacles and give the gift of their genius to ungrateful people.

Bob