Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Tabs Newbie

I am afraid that isn't a function of reading and playing tabs with
harmonica.  In fact, by the time you are worried about being in key
with others, you typically shouldn't be reading tab.  You should know
the piece, what position it is in, and how you need to approach the
music so that you are in key with the others.  Tab can get you far
enough that you can make those choices, but if you are actually
reading tab while playing with others, you run the risk of falling
behind and/or "phoning it in".  In any case, all of the musicians
would have to know the key and how they were going to approach the
piece, as well, so you are in the same boat with them.  In fact, they
may have started with tab, too.

Tab is a way to communicate the pattern of notes to be played in a
piece of music that is instrument and instrument tuning specific.  If
the tab is for a non-standard tuning and/or there are familiar keys
for the tune, then that information should be included as a note on
the tab, but it may not change the tab.  Harmonica tab is not the only
tab that can be key neutral.  Guitar and banjo tab can also be key
neutral.  It can written off of the nut with the expectation that the
player will simply use a capo to move it up to key to play with
others.

Cara