Re: [Harp-L] positions you can use on diatonic

This is really just a discussion of nomenclature.  Using numbered
positions is a short-hand for the location (starting point) and feel
of a certain scale in relation to the harmonica on which it is being
played.  3rd position, or playing D on a C harp, has a feel to it with
certain little opportunities that aren't there when you play another
position on the same harp (say A on a C harp).  It is these
opportunities we seek that cause us to play positionally -- to choose
to play D on a C harp rather than D on an F or a D or a G harp.
Whether or not you think in numbered positions, you are still playing
in a position on the harmonica.  You have simply learned to call it
something else.  As long as you know where you are going, that is what
counts when you play.  You can label the places you wish to play on
your harmonica any way you like.  However, when you do, if your
nomenclature is too different from everyone else's, you may have
difficulty communicating with them -- which appears to have been the
cause of this thread in the first place -- confusion over what was
meant by certain terms.

Interestingly, when I first started playing harmonica and following my
ears, I had no clue what was meant by straight, cross, or slant harp
-- but that was supposed to be how you played harmonica.  Someone
later told me that cross harp was playing only draw notes, no matter
what -- and that didn't help.  In the world of melodic music, you need
a few blow holes, too.  So I did things my way, and it worked.
Whatever those other folks were talking about didn't affect me.  Of
course, I was playing straight, cross, and slant (and more), but I had
no idea what the terms really meant, so they meant nothing to me.
Once I learned the positional nomenclature and could apply it to the
terms, I finally understood.  Of course, by the time I understood, it
never had any hope of helping my harmonica playing.  It just made it
possible for me to be conversant with someone who used that
nomenclature.

Learning to use the position nomenclature has helped me communicate to
others and help them see the opportunities provided by each key on the
harmonica and develop ideas on how to utilize them.  It takes the
worry out of the way of keeping up with sharps and flats so that they
can move forward and find even more harmonica to play -- simplifying
what they are doing to concepts.  You are doing the same thing when
you talk "C harp" even when you are playing a harmonica of a different
key.  The nomenclature removes the particulars that are incidental and
the focus of thought then goes to the sharps and flats that matter for
the discussion -- the sharps and flats that will matter when you play
-- which will probably be referred to then as bends and overblows,
because knowing that they are sharp of flat doesn't remind you of what
you must do to get the note to play.

Another nomenclature that I have used is "white keys" and "black keys"
(in reference to the piano).  The harmonica has only white keys in the
middle and top octaves, so, if you need a black key, you have to bend
or overblow.  It is simplistic, but it is just another way to remove
the worry about keeping up with sharps and flats, half steps and whole
steps, and to give the learner a picture or mnemonic for their mental
work.

Call it anything you like when you play.  We use these terms to
communicate, and some of us are helped by the concepts and the
pictures they paint in our heads.

Cara