Re: [Harp-L] someone spilled beer in my harmonicas!!!!!

On Sep 30, 2011, at 1:37 PM, Robert Coble wrote:

> Smokey Joe opined that there IS a C&W song regarding tears in the beer.
>
> Could that be Hank Williams' "There's a Tear in My Beer"?

That's the one Bob. I guess my memory isn't what it used to be.

Me? I use efferdent but most folks won't have that lying around. So, dishwasher crystals are the best.  In the old days, I soaked them in Vodka. But it has to be unflavored.  As for the covers, dishwasher crystals cause the water to dry off faster and, of course, the player should rap out the water briskly with the holes down into a dish towel any way. As far as rivets go, only the head (and tail) can rust. The rest is buried in the brass. They have dug up harmonicas from over 150 years ago and the rivets were still holding.

 When I would get a new harmonica, I would Simonize the covers. The chromatics were almost always brass with Nickel plate while the diatonics were nickel or cadmium plated steel. A lot of people think they have a nickel allergy, but in reality, it's cadmium that irritates them. If you suspect an allergy of this type, here's a test. Place 2 (U.S.) nickels in your mouth for 45 min. Then rinse and see what happens. Next day, hold several cadmium plated sheet metal screws in you mouth and repeat the experiment. I have found that if you have the allergy, the corners of your mouth will be red and possibly tender. :)

(People can use this in their books) lolol

smo-joe