RE: [Harp-L] Any IBC tips? I'm going to Memphis

Bobby, for me you're a prime example of what's so cool at the IBC.  I didn't anticipate in advance how great it would be to hear and get to meet performers like you who have such great chops and are so inspiring.  You've really got a way of connecting with people--I can still remember how the audience responded to not only your playing but your warmth.  And, you're right--I think everybody in our bar was rooting for one another during the course of the competition.  Finding joy in others' playing really helps to take the edge off of the whole competitive thing--if you can tap into that you're much better able to just enjoy the experience and not freak out.  Remember one of the other harp players in our group--Karl Cabbage?  I come across things by him online from time to time--there are a series of youtube videos where he's demonstrating different mic's & amps--terrific player, especially his awesome SBWII inspired stuff.

Hope all is well--hope to see you down there again, too?

John

> From: bobby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: chicagobluesman@xxxxxxxxxxx; av1901@xxxxxxx; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Any IBC tips? I'm going to Memphis
> Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 19:50:05 -0400
>
> Andy,
>
> John and I competed against each other in the same venue last year and his
> advice is right on target.  Bottom line...have fun and enjoy the experience.
> His comment about not getting hung up on the competitive aspects is also
> good advice.  It's a total blues overload and the talent is absolutely
> amazing.  The atmosphere is simply electric and I cheered for my competition
> as much as they cheered for me.  You're gonna have a blast.  As far as amps
> go, last year I opted for the Lone Wolf Harp Attack Pedal in lieu of hauling
> an amp around. It sounded great and fit right in my harp case.
>
> Don't forget to bring LOTS of business cards and NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK!
>
> And of course, let's not forget the BBQ!
>
> Bobby
> http://bobbyblackhat.com
> http://airplaydirect.com/bobbyblackhatwalters

John D. Jochem, Psy.D.Clinical Psychologist

     977 Lakeview Parkway     Suite 102     Vernon Hills, IL     60061     Office:   (847) 680-0755     Fax:        (847) 573-1617
    www.hawthorncounseling.comContact Me