RE: [Harp-L] Sore Mouth From Playing Chromatic

Sore lips can be a bit of an occupational hazard. Some harps have got sharper edges than others when it comes to tongue-blocking. Sometimes I play for three or four hours a night, two nights in a row. I use a thin, non-greasy, aroma-free lip balm (called Cymex in the UK), very sparingly, one or twice in a long evening, and I always clean the harps after each session. If you feel discomfort you should sort it out before carrying on. If the problem is deeper inside your mouth you perhaps need to consider whether you're reacting to the metal of the mouthpiece, in which case you may need to see the doc. For a good few years I've suffered from a condition called lichen planus in my mouth, which I've been told is not related to my harmonica playing. Fortunately, I have it only mildly.
Have a close look at your mouthpiece and make sure it's sound and doesn't have sharp bits on it. I got extremely sore lips once playing a certain cheaper brand of diatonic which I won't name. When I looked closely at the covers I found that sharp bits of very thin metal plating were flaking off! Also, if it's a 270-type slide setup, check that the parts of the slide mechanism are centrally mounted and not sticking out slightly top or bottom.