Subject: [Harp-L] Making the Move to Chromatic

John Potts writes (snipped):

"Well, I've been trying to learn chrom for the last few months in  part
because a bandleader i work with has been insisting on it and in  part
because i finally found a chrom that i enjoy playing and that's  not
sticky or temperamental (the Suzuki SCX-48 and SCX-56)."
Hi John: (so YOU're hvyj <G>):

I love Phil Caltabellotta's approach (among many other people who use
these). Of course he could play the phone book and make it sound good (here're a
 couple of samples):

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOPeDHY6Kpk_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOPeDHY6Kpk)

_http://www.youtube.com/user/philcaltabellotta#p/f/3/NSGIfDzjRV4_
(http://www.youtube.com/user/philcaltabellotta#p/f/3/NSGIfDzjRV4)

one of the 'practice tools/backing tracks', he brings to our GSHC meetings
is his not-quite-portable Bose player (fabulous sound) with his Music Minus
 One Jazz or Hal Leonard Jazz CD's.

I've bought quite a few of them myself - but mine are not all jazz since my
 tastes are more eclectic. They're 'play-along' books with accompanying
CD's  which have 2 tracks: one with the full song and the second minus the main
 instrument for you to play over. I tend to buy those geared for either
Alto or  Tenor Sax or Flute.  Separately, I've gotten quite a few for  Guitar
or Piano, primarily because I love playing along with those instruments  and
so I can use them AS full backing tracks and still use them for my own
keyboard practice.

At some point it was mentioned here that the Hal Leonard tracks can be
used for actual recording without concern about copyrights. I'm not sure if
that's entirely accurate or not - perhaps someone else can elucidate?

Uploading them through Itunes to an Ipod gives one the  ability to practice
via both methods since in some situations a CD is the only  option for
backing. The (soft-cover)books are purely bonus since I mostly  play by ear -
but come in handy for following along a particularly difficult  passage or if
I decide to play on my keyboard, or for taking along for a pianist  to use
as accompaniment. Depending on the tune, some include lyrics.

There are a couple of EBay sites where I usually acquire a  few at a time
(spending less than $100 each time I've done so), although now I'm  curious
as to whether or not my own local library would stock them. My  own local
library does carry tons of music CD's which I've been aware of and  looked into
after hearing about the idea some years back here on  harp-l. I rarely
borrowed the Jazz or Blues CD's since most looked a  bit beat up and scratched
and I didn't want to ruin my CD player. Check them  over before checking them
out. Possibly the librarians have a method to  clean/polish the CD's first?

I've now amassed a fairly extensive collection of play-alongs over the
last 3 - 4 years (as well as CD's I bought very inexpensively such as: Piano by
 Moonlight (a set of two), Guitar by Moonlight, Sax by Moonlight - all with
 beautiful standards and more contemporary music which I can play along
with. In fact, two of those (piano-based) were my accompaniment on Sunday for
2  tunes at the GSHC 40th Anniversary party.

Phil's Music Minus One's are more complicated musically than those I've
bought for the most part and he generously involves me in playing along after
our regular club meetings so I'm getting to know the style of his a bit
better.

I know this type of practice has improved my playing and my  ear a lot
although my improv-ing skills still leave much to be desired. I'm  simply still
not that good a jazz player; basically still into ballads and  R&B and more
geared to Contemporary or Smooth Jazz. But I'm learning  more and more from
really good players such as Phil and my other jazz 'great'  SmoJoe, when we
can manage to get together to talk/practice music at the  occasional
Convention. I purely love listening to those players who can  'ornament' jazz in a
very melodious way but amn't anywhere close to his or  Smokey's styles.

Still, one can use these CD's as fun practice to learn real songs in
between lessons or other 'drier' forms of practice simply to make things a bit
more interesting.

I can give you the info offlist if you're interested in the  Sellers from
whom I've purchased most of mine.

Elizabeth

PS: Amazon also carries some of these books including the newer CD's  of
every form of the 'Real Fake Books', but they usually do not list  the tracks
or allow you to see the books close up, so one still has to look  elsewhere
online to find that info. The Sellers I buy from provide all  the details up
front and will give discounts for multiple purchases.