[Harp-L] diatonic and chromatic

   I don't see why you can't do both.  I don't claim to be a great chromatic
player, but I taught myself how to play chromatic from my diatonics.  I
remember reading that Charlie Parker said one of his first orders of
business on the alto sax was learning the blues in all 12 keys.  I drew out
all of my 12 diatonics on a sheet of paper, took a few simple blues lines I
frequently used and looked at what actual notes I was using.  It was like
paint by numbers, I took a phrase and transposed it through all 12
keys.  Then simple blues heads.  Pretty soon I didn't need to look at the
paper, I knew the intervals.  I find one instrument feeds the other.  If I
stumble onto something while playing the chromatic, I move it over to the
diatonic and vice-versa.  You don't have to transpose a lot of lines before
you're able to go to a hole without thinking about it.  And finding
yourself embellishing phrases and improvising a little.
   The chromatic is a beautiful instrument and Joe should have a lot of fun
learning it.  Good luck, Joe!

Mick Zaklan