Re: [Harp-L] help with minor positions

Back to the original question .

I guess it depends on the song, but if I am dealing with a simple minor key
tune, I'll probably pick up a harp to play it in 3rd position  just to get
oriented (because it's fast and familiar), then would probably check out 4th
position opportunities first (it helps to be able to play the 4th hole OB to
give you the flat-5th in the second octave, though), then 5th or cross-harp
minor.  I think Richard Hunter pointed out that 12th position really lays
out better for major tunes, so that wouldn't be my first choice.

However . Howard Levy always says to first find where the melody of the tune
sits the best . then decide where to go from there . So, other factors, such
as available chords, or relative keys if there is a bridge that might
require it, may then affect your choice.

An example of that is "Georgia on My Mind."  I like playing it in 12th
position for the verse melody, then the bridge goes to a minor key and sits
BEAUTIFULLY in 3rd position, which I really like to play in . really fat,
gorgeous bends . So, that case I choose playing in 12th position because the
melody works fine for me, but I really choose it because I wanna play the
BRIDGE in 3rd position .

So, hope that approach is helpful .

Regards,

Paul Messinger/Chapel Hill NC